Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ninjering 102: The Overview

Ninjering 102 is not about how to probe mission runners, how to d-scan or how to fit a hilaricane. That would be 101. 102 is about some of the finer tricks of the trade. This one's about the overview and how to keep your feeble brain from shorting out.


Information overload

Last week I mentioned the loss of my first Harbinger, which happened not long after I first moved from pure ninja salvaging to baiting and killing. A quick look at the killmail will tell you the story: I jumped a shooty Dominix and was jumped in turn by his corpmate in a Celestis. Said Celestis kept me pointed and neuted while the Dominix pounded me with blaster fire until I exploded.

That was not how it happened in my mind, however. I never noticed his corpmate until I studied the killmail. It was a pretty nasty failure of of situational awareness. Thing is, my overview was so cluttered by drones, rats, wrecks, containers, mission structures and whatnot that, ironically, I had no overview of the situation at all. I fixed that and I recommend you do the same.


Getting started

Right-click the little four-bar icon in the top of the overview window and select “Open overview settings.” From this menu, you can edit almost everything about what is displayed in your overview, and how. I won't go into all options in depth, you should consult the EVE manual for that. Wait, what? Oh. Well, in lieu of a manual, check out this EVEUniversity article and/or download ISK The Guide.

There's a lot of options in here. A LOT.


Don't feel like you have to set up your overview to EVE University specifications: a good overview should be matched to your needs and the circumstances you will most frequently encounter. I'll explain how I've set up my own overview and the thinking behind it. And it's the thinking that counts. I am still frequently tinkering with the overview but I am happy with the basics of my current set-up.


Tabs

First of all, you should know about tabs. By right-clicking one of the tabs in your current overview, you will be given the option to “Add tab.” You can have a maximum of five and I recommend you use them all. These tabs will allow you to quickly switch between different overviews as situations change. It's also useful for d-scanning if you have the “Use overview settings” box checked. It will use your overview settings as a filter, leaving out lots of junk you may not want to sift through, like wrecks and cans while in combat.

I use five tabs: Ninja, Gank, Drones, WarpTo, and Everything. I'll go over them one by one. When setting up your tabs, start by removing everything and then fill in the bits you think you'll need. This will prevent you from overlooking things like POS modules which can really mess up a d-scan result at the worst possible time.


Ninja

This is the tab where I spend most of my time. It has quite a lot in it: containers, wrecks, NPC ships, player ships and drones, and acceleration gates. What it leaves out is various celestials (suns, planets, moons, stations), structures and other inert stuff that I don't need to keep an eye on. While this particular setting can get quite cluttered in a busy mission with lots of rats and wrecks around, it is only used during the “baiting” stage of getting a mission runner to shoot me, when I don't yet need to worry about overextending my limited brain capacity.

The Ninja tab in action. Notice how all non-essential information has been stripped.


Gank

When things get funky, I switch to the Gank tab. This is essentially the same as the Ninja tab, except it leaves out the cans, wrecks and NPC stuff. I leave the acceleration gates in because I often find myself chasing a mission runner down a room or two (or six). One thing I also take out is drones. Once there are three or four ships on grid with five drones each, the overview quickly fills up, so it helps to get them out of the Combat tab. They are in the Ninja tab however, because it's intel: being able to gauge the tech level of the mission runner's drones from d-scan will give me a quick indication of how far up the skill tree this guy has gone.


Drones

Hah! Thought I didn't care about drones at all in combat? That's not true. In fact, drones can be a very critical factor, especially when I'm flying a flimsy little frigate, holding on for dear life while a friendly pilot is bringing me a Hurricane, and the mission runner starts launching Warrior IIs at me. That's why I give drones a tab all to themselves. It has the drones, all the drones, and nothing but the drones. This allows me to quickly target those drones I want to shoot down.


WarpTo

Sometimes I just need to go places. Or check on where a mission runner is aligned to. WarpTo has the sun, planets, customs offices (easy to forget those), stations and beacons. Not moons or asteroid belts though, because there's generally too many of them to be worth the hassle of warping to each one. If you do need to find someone whom you suspect of being at a moon or belt, it's better to warp to the planet and use some narrow-angle d-scan magic instead.


Everything

Unsurprisingly, this tab includes everything. Sometimes you'll want to see something that you can't visually pick out. Like moons or asteroid belts. It's more of a backup than something I use often, but when I do use it I'm always glad it's there.


Brackets and appearance

Some final tricks that have made my life in the overview much easier involve the use of brackets and the appearance of neutrals. Brackets are the things you see in space. EVE allows you to use a different overview filter for the overview itself and the brackets in space depending on which tab you have selected. You can configure this under “Overview tabs.” I use the Ninja setting for all tabs except WarpTo and Everything. This allows me to keep an eye on mission rats and enemy drones, or quickly select and save the location of an object for a tactical warp, even when I'm in a more limited overview tab. Best of both worlds, so to say.

Brackets in action. Though displayed in space, the wrecks are not in the overview.


As for appearance, this affects the colors and symbols of pilots and their drones. From the overview settings menu, note that only the “Filters → Types” settings are tab-specific. The other settings apply to the entire overview regardless of which tab you're on. I've used the options under “Appearance” to set neutral and no-standing pilots to a yellow icon with a yellow background. This makes them stand out much clearer from whatever other stuff there may be on my current tab. It gives a good visual cue whenever some third party shows up and it means that I'm always able to pick out players from NPCs and inert items at a glance.


Mess with it – a lot

The overview tabs and settings I've described here work well for me. As I already said, however, I'm frequently tinkering with the details and I'm sure other ninjas use other setups. I'd be delighted to hear how other people have theirs laid out. Why not drop a reply to this post with your thoughts? You can earn a cookie if you add a screenshot of your favorite tab in action. Apart from that, my advice to you is to grit your teeth and dig into those overview settings. They're a bit of a pain to figure out but you'll find it is well worth it in the end.

And finally, special thanks to Sihoja for involuntarily supermodelling in these screenshots. You were born for the catwalk, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment